5 Reasons You Need Yoga in Your Life
Have you been intrigued by yoga, but not enough to take the plunge and try it out? Here are 5 reasons why you should step out and give it a shot! You're body will thank you!
- Strength. Yoga can help you improve strength and flexibility in a short period of time, making it a prime choice for your fitness routine. Many yoga postures utilize body weight and gravity to build strength. Ensuring you engage the proper muscles while in a posture will ensure that you are indeed strengthening your body as well as prevents injuries. Remaining focused, mindful, and present is important during your practice. By learning to engage the proper muscles while also stretching in a pose, your strength and flexibility will work together to support each other.
- Flexibility. This is why most of us try yoga in the first place. I began yoga because stretching was boring to me and I needed a means to get me to want to stretch, but also keep me interested. By combining strength and flexibility building into one, I found myself able to enjoy the process of becoming more flexible. As we gain flexibility, we become able to lessen pain and prevent injury. Practices like restorative yoga can increase flexibility in your fascia and ligaments, which can help your body with proper alignment and posture in everyday activities.
- Activate your "Rest and Digest" system. Many of us spend way too much time in the "Fight or Flight" response mode. Stress of life and packed-to-the-limits schedules keep our bodies prepared for action at any moment and alerts your body to release increased levels of stress hormones, like cortisol. Prolonged periods in this state will deplete your body and lead to excessive fatigue. Practicing yoga and focusing on your breath will activate your "Rest and Digest" system. Learning to maintain fluid and calm breath during a challenging yoga posture re-teaches your nervous system to access the "rest and digest" mode which you can then use in everyday situations of life. You can learn to take what life gives you and handle it while remaining calm and focused. Your body will thank you.
- Eliminate hip and back pain. Much of the chronic hip and back pain that we endure can be relieved, eliminated, or even prevented in the first place, by relaxing our psoas, the muscle that connects our legs to our spine. Proper alignment during your yoga practice will allow the psoas to relax, which will in turn release the tightness many of us endure in our hips and back.
- Keep your joints happy. The movement of yoga benefits your joints by squeezing out the fluid and replacing it with fresh fluid to be absorbed by the cartilage, allowing for continued healthy mobility. Joints need to be used to remain refreshed and healthy.
Are you ready to add a yoga practice to your life? If you're just beginning, you can start with a short at home practice, or find an all-level or beginner yoga class in your area. It's especially helpful to have an instructor to help guide your form when you are just beginning. Find what works for you and commit to practicing yoga at least once a week for the next month. Check back in and let me know how you feel. Have questions, let me know how I can help!