The Best Ways to Relieve (and prevent) Swollen Feet
We all get swollen feet sometimes. It could be a result of standing all day, sitting at the desk all day, or a result of our body retaining fluid for any number of reasons. No matter the reason your feet are swollen today, here are some ways to relieve the swelling and also some steps to take in the future in order to prevent them from swelling.
Let's relieve those swollen feet:
- Elevate your legs. Yep, put those feet up and read a book or watch a movie. Even better, turn on some calming music, lie down on the floor, with your buns against the wall, and raise your legs up the wall into Legs Up Wall (yoga) pose. Here's a quick instructional video.
- Move. Whether you've been standing in one place or sitting for too long at a time, simply get up and walk around for a few minutes. You can rotate your ankles from side to side a few times, flex and bend your legs a few times.
- Soak! Mix up an epsom salt bath in either your tub (and soak your whole self) or in a small tub (soak just your feet and ankles). Add epsom salt and your favorite essential oil to warm water for your tub and whole body, or into cool water for just your foot soak. My favorite essential oils for soaking are lavender and grapefruit! You can grab my favorite essential oils here.
- Massage! If you have a buddy, ask them to mix some grapefruit essential oil with a carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil or sweet almond oil) and massage upward as you rub your feet, ankles, and calves. (you can also do this yourself if you can't coax your buddy!) I also like to keep my Deep Relief roll-on with me and apply it as needed around my ankles to provide relief throughout the day.
Let's Take Action Tomorrow to prevent the swelling!
- Drink Water. Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
- Move every hour. Set an alarm on your watch or phone to remind you to stand up and walk for a minute or two every hour!
- Add a magnesium supplement to your routine. The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for magnesium is 350mg per day. This is the magnesium supplement, Young Living's MegaCal, I love and take every evening. Bonus benefits from the calcium. You can pick up your canister (along with your grapefruit and lavender EOs) here.
- Just keep Swimming! Hop in the pool give your body a break from gravity! Swing by my house first and grab Cora, she is a great swimming buddy!
- Compression socks. Not just for athletes and granddads. 😃 start with a lightweight pair to see how they feel and make sure they don't cut off circulation completely. I love CPR Compression Socks and you can order your size here. (affiliate link)
Do you have a tip to add to help relieve and prevent swollen feet? Please share it below!
Some other related articles: