Low Carb Popovers
Popovers, yorkshire pudding, dutch pancakes! Super simple prep and beautifully baked in the oven as they puff up! Who'd have thought you could have these while eating low-carb and high-fat? Well, it doesn't matter what you thought. Try out this recipe and you won't be disappointed. This is my modification on Maria Emmerich's "Spring Popovers", which can be found in her amazing cookbook: "quick & easy Ketogenic Cooking". You should totally grab it here on Amazon. (I will make a few cents off of your purchase when you use my link, which helps me to keep providing you more FREE content here! so, thank you!)
Pro Tip: Only bake the exact number of popovers you will eat immediately. Store the remainder of the batter in an airtight, glass container, in the fridge for up to 3 days. They will even puff up more when cooked after the batter cools in the fridge! Be prepared for the spectacle!
Chive & Dill Popover
Low Carb Popovers
Yields 12-16 depending on size of cups used
1 cup unflavored egg white protein (I've been using Jay Robb's, as that's what my local grocer carries, but I just ordered this (cheaper) on Amazon to try out and I'll let you know.
1 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
8 T melted butter, divided (Kerrygold Grassfed is my favorite!) or 4 T ghee & 4 T bacon grease
2 cups unsweetened, unflavored almond milk (look for a brand that does not contain carrageenan)
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp sea salt
Chive & Dill: 1 tsp dried chives & 1 tsp dried dill
Bacon & Black Pepper: 6 T crumbled nitrate-free bacon & freshly ground black pepper
Dark Chocolate (still #Keto): 1 T Swerve granulated, 2 oz chopped Lily's Dark Chocolate, 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Decide how many popovers to make immediately and place 1/2 T butter or ghee into each ramekin or muffin tin.
- In the last 5-8 minutes of preheating the oven, place the ramekins or muffin tins into the oven to pre-heat and melt the butter or ghee.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the egg white protein & baking powder.
- Add in 4 T of the melted butter, ghee, or bacon grease, almond milk, eggs, salt, & any additional options you've selected. *Notes on Dark Chocolate and Bacon & Pepper. Do not add into the blender at this point.
- Carefully remove the ramekins or muffin tins from the oven. Fill each ramekin/tin with batter up to 2/3s full. *Note: at this point, sprinkle either the chocolate or Bacon & pepper on top of the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325 and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes. Or until puffed and golden brown. Do not open the oven until you are ready to pull them out, as they will begin to deflate as soon as cool air is introduced. (IG tip: take your pic while they are still in the oven, to capture their full beauty!)
Enjoy your popovers immediately. I love to add butter. Smoked salmon and fried capers are amazing also!!
Another tasty option is to add a spoonful of goat cheese & a slice of bacon.
Love this recipe? Join our Inspired Wellness Tribe for more great low carb, Keto recipes and wellness tips. Plus, occasionally I share free workouts that you can do from home!