Tips to Drink More Water Everyday
Water! We are made of 60% water and we need water to survive and stay healthy. Staying properly hydrated helps our brain to function, can help to prevent headaches, and can help with weight loss. Did you know that increased water intake can decrease the risk of kidney stone formation? Reason alone to drink it up! Drinking water before meals can help you to eat less, thus leading to weight loss. Water is like the wonder element! Now that we know we need it, here are some of my tricks to help keep me reaching for it throughout the day - but not too late, so I can also sleep through the night. ;)
1. Add a straw to your cup - this simple trick makes it easier to grab a quick sip of water without even lifting your glass.
2. Set a timer on your watch Or phone. Sometimes we get to the end of the day and we find ourselves woefully behind on water. But then don't want to drink it all so we're not up all night in the bathroom. Setting a reminder helps us to drink most before dinner. My Apple Watch reminds me to stand every hour. I use that as a reminder to drink a glass of water too! Win win!
3. Add flavor. Find flavor without adding calories. No calorie flavors like Mio are good, but beware of the sweetening agents that may affect your body. I love using Essential Oils like Citrus Fresh, Orange, and Lime.
4. Label a water jug. I'm too lazy to carry around a gallon of water anymore, however I have lots of friend who draw lines and motivational quotes on a gallon jug to help keep them on track. It's a great way to always know where you stand.
5. Sparkling water. The bubbles also help me keep fuller longer. Plus it gives me he bubbles I used to get with soda. La Croix is my favorite, however I also like my grocery store brand. Just beware that some sparkling waters have sugar and calories, so be sure to check the labels.
6. Drink a glass on waking. This is just always good idea. A glass of room temperature water, with a squirt of lemon will jumpstart your day and your metabolism.
7. Drink tea. Hot and iced tea are great ways to flavor your water, and kind of trick you into hydrating and not feel as though you're simply drinking water. Beware of sweet tea (you know who you are) and too much caffeine in the evening. Look for my upcoming post on my favorite teas to treat yourself throughout the day.